For the pastry:
400 gram Butter
150 ml water
650 gram flour
1 tablespoon apple vinegar
a pinch of salt
For the cream:
6-7 Egg yolks
1 liter milk
360 gram sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
130 gram + 30 gram butter
100 gram flour
Preparing the Cream:
- Add the sugar, vanilla sugar and the egg yolks in a bowl. Mix.
- Add 100 gram flour. Mix. Add 50 more ml of milk. Mix. At this stage, you should have a thick creamy mass.
- Boil 0.7-0.8 liter milk.
- Pour the egg yolk-sugar mix in a saucepan.
- Boil while stirring and pouring the hot boiled milk in the mix. The process should take up to 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and drop 30 gram of butter in the warm cream.
- Get another bowl and add 130 gr soft butter. Use a mixer to stir.
- Use the mixer for the cream in the saucepan too. Now pour the cream over the butter little by little. Mix every time. The cream thus obtained has a light yellow colour and will stay in the fridge while we take care of the shortcakes.
Preparing the Shortcakes:
- Measure 650 gram flour and cut 400 grams of butter in cubes.
- Mix the flour and butter.
- Mix 2 eggs, salt, 150 ml water, and 1 table spoon of apple vinegar (in this order). You don’t need to stir, nor use a mixer.
- The next step is to mix all the ingredients.
- Homogenize the mass.
- Divide in portions. I have divided it in 9 pieces, as I want to have 9 medium-sized
shortcakes. Put them in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on baking papersheets.
- Press a plate on the rolled out pastry to obtain equal round shortcakes.
- Make tiny holes with a fork to prevent the shortcakes from getting air-bubbles.
- Bake in 250°. The shortcakes take very little time to bake. Only about 5 minutes each. Save the baked margins on a plate, you are going to need them later.
Assemblig the cake:
- Alternate 1 shortcake- 1 layer of cream.
- Crumble the margins and use them to cover the cake from all sides. Some people like to add crubled wallnuts on top too.
Napoleon cakes need to stay in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving so that the shortcake layers absorb the cream. In the perfect case, it should remain in the fridge over night 🙂The Napoleon cake is ready! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂